[CAMWEST-discuss] Fw: The Future of the Southwest: A View from the Road

Danny Hannan danny_hannan at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 9 00:01:20 UTC 2010

G'day all,
I like this article by Chris Nelder.  It sounds like something I would have liked to have written.  Just to fill you in on the picture of the debt situation in the US as compared to Australia.
There are several ways to measure debt.  Two very useful ways are debt in terms of GDP and nett debt per head of population.
Australia fares better than the US on both counts.  Though Australian personal debt on a per head basis is marginally higher than in the US.  The total net debt is much lower.  Australian total nett debt per head of population is now over Au$30,000.00.  The US per head of population US federal debt is over US$40,000.00 as well, many impending costs that are as yet totally unfunded, and that does not count state debts, corporate debts and personal debts .  Many of the US states are in serious debt problems, borrowing just to supply services and pay employees.  So much for low taxes.

With this high level of debt I have little confidence that the US will be able to move to a post oil age.  And Australia is similarly headed in the wrong direction.

Dan
 danny_hannan at yahoo.com