[CAMWEST-discuss] Cumberland Hwy and Prosepct canal

Mark Robson Mark.Robson at australwright.com.au
Wed Feb 23 22:26:38 UTC 2011

Hi John,

I'd like to add that I witnessed the ridiculous nature of the shared path alongside the Cumberland Hwy between
Merrylands Rd and M4 through Sth Wentworthville. The residents along this strip have nowhere else to park their cars but
ON the shared path, leaving hundreds of cyclists to squeeze between gaps of around 70cm either between the cars and the fence, or between the cars and an unfenced gutter to a major road. At the traffic light crossing at the intersection of Old Prospect Rd and Cumberland Hwy there was insufficient space on the footpath corner to 'stable' the number of cyclists that could cross the road during the 'green time', leading to a situation where cyclists were left standing on the main road after the lights changed.

The RTA is building too many of these 'double crossings' into the path network; and they are clearly quite dangerous when used for even moderately sized ride groups.

I have also discovered that the design of the traffic light crossing built by Boral at the old quarry is poor. The buttons to activate the crossing are around a metre from the concrete path, meaning that cyclists have to either dismount or ride on soft dirt to press the button to activate the signal. The whole crossing appears to have been designed with only pedestrians in mind. However since it's about 4 km from the nearest house I expect that the usage of the path will be 99% cyclists. It should be better.

Regards

Mark Robson