[CAMWEST-discuss] Fwd: ## Message from Barry's website

Danny Hannan danny_hannan at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 23:22:06 UTC 2011

Unfortunately Barry and his minions have not heard that Australia is importing
80% of its liquid fuel needs and that NSW is importing 100% of its liquid fuel
needs.  And that NSW manufactures almost no motor vehicles.  That means that
most of the money spent on motor transport permanently leaves the state,
depleting our wealth.  Building more roads just increases the rate that our
wealth leaves the state.

Rail transport and rolling stock on the other hand can all be built here so that
the wealth of the state stays circulating within the sate.  The fuel cost of
rail freight is 25% of that of road transport on a per tonne basis.

While the right wing supporters complain about the subsidies that are needed for
rail transport the subsidies for road transport are actually over twice that for
rail on a passenger kilometre basis and on a tonne kilometre of freight basis.

According to the International Energy Agency's; World Energy Outlook 2010, peak
oil was 2006.  Don't politicians read or if they do don't they understand the
significance or consequences of these documents.

Do write to you local both state and federal representives on these topics.
Politicians will only change policies when they think the weight of public
opinion will cost them their seat if they don't.

This is a recent letter I sent to local politicians.

G'day all,

I make my living as a private trader in oil futures and some selected options
both on the US market.

I hold no stock, I employ no people, I produce no goods, I provide no services,
while I put my own capital at risk, the risks I take are well calculated and
mostly allowed for, and at least I use my own capital.  Hedge funds and trading
companies etc. trade with other people's capital.  A system that not only allows
but encourages such trading is designed to take wealth from the people and put
it into the hands of a few and so is seriously flawed.

My point being; is that traders such as myself are parasites on the economy,
while we may perform some necessary functions, the costs to the economy are
large.  I seriously doubt that a carbon trading system would achieve its goal of
reducing carbon dioxide emissions.  A carbon trading scheme however:  Would
raise prices and take money from the polluters and the public and pass it to the
traders.  The money men would grow richer while little would be done to reduce
our energy needs or our carbon emissions.

A broad based carbon tax without compensations as supported by Leighton Holdings
chairman David Mortimer in this article and proposed by Geoff Carmody of Access
Economics.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/no-compensation-leighton-chair-calls-for-carbon-tax-20110307-1bkdm.html

Would not only reduce carbon consumption by driving behavioural change but
provide funds to build the vast infrastructure needed for a low
energy-consumption economy and for renewable power production .  This
infrastructure is needed not only to reduce our energy usage and to produce
power from renewable sources but also to replace our rapidly depleting reserves
of fossil fuels.

http://camwest.pps.com.au/renewable-energy/

The dispute over a carbon tax going on between the major political parties at
the moment is heart breakingly disappointing for those who are knowledgeable on
the topic.  The scientific and mathematical illiteracy of our so called leaders,
the politicians is appalling.  Both major parties are playing to a largely
scientifically ignorant public and it is in the parties vested interests to keep
the public ignorant on the topics of both Global Warming and resource
depletion.  Else dramatic changes would have to be made to their policies.  Does
anyone think this is being a good elected representative of the people or good
governance?

Just to clarify, from my research of the data available, Global Warming is
actually accelerating and has a large human caused component.  While I question
the mechanisms said to cause Global Warming, from my calculations the heat
released from our fossil fuel usage alone is quite adequate to cause the
measured Global Warming and while "green house gases" are also contributing to
the problem, carbon dioxide is not the only contributing "green house gas" and
may not be the main contributor.

However:  I cannot see how a carbon trading scheme will do anything except take
money from the people and put it into the hands of the traders.  A direct and
broad based tax on carbon with no compensations is the only way to effect
behavioural change and so that the money can be returned to the people in the
form of the infrastructure needed to lower our energy usage and to produce the
needed energy in sustainable ways that will replace our fast depleting fossil
fuels.

A carbon tax would make only a small increase in costs compared to the removal
of subsidies and the energy price rises that are inevitable as fossil fuels
supplies fail to meet demand in our energy hungry world.  Currently in NSW our
power stations are heavily subsidised with low cost coal.  The same coal that is
supplied to the power stations at less than $40/tonne is loaded onto ships in
New Castle Harbour at around $120-$130/tonne.  The growing global shortage of
export quantities of fossil fuels will only push these prices higher.

Dan
danny_hannan at yahoo.com