[CAMWEST-discuss] using petrol in cars?

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Sun Apr 3 10:18:01 UTC 2011

Mark & others,
                    As Rob says, CAMWEST is not dead, but it is limping. Recently we have been involved in quite a lot of negotiation with Transurban & the RTA over the M2 upgrade, three of us are active members of the Parramatta Cycleways Committee, I have appeared in most of the local newspapers as the 'voice' of CAMWEST in recent months. We have proceeded to Incorporation as well in recent times & I have also attended the BUG Council of BNSW meetings on occasion. We are actively involved in the Ride2Riverstone organisation, which unfortunately has taken an extremely large chunk of time for those involved.

One of the reasons we are limping appears to be lack of interest from many people. Calls for people to become Ride Leaders with BNSW have been ignored, even with offers of sponsorship. Some activities are carried out under our Banner without any reports coming back to me as to what that activity was or the result of it.

Many of the posytings on our Announce & Discuss mailing lists remain without comment.

We have not had formal meetings recently, nor have we run any rides, due mainly to the fact that only Rob kemp, Michael Goard & myself are ride leaders recognised by BNSW. With insurance issues etc, it is imperative we have that sanction from BNSW to prevent insurance issues.

I believe we also had an offer from David Borger for financial assitance to run an event that went begging & is now, due to the political situation, probably void.

Our level of inaction has allowed Bike North to set up a chapter in the Rouse Hill area, which actually suits as it lessens our area to some extent, although we are working closely with BN in that area. I will be attending a ride with Alex Hawke, Federal member for the Hills & the deputy Mayor with Phil Griffiths in the near future to discuss aspects of cycling issues in The Hills.

I did Super Tuesday Bike Counts this year & also did some auditing for the MY Bike Route Project, both paying activities that will contribute to our coffers.

So no Mark, we aren't dead. A few people are doing a lot of things, it's just that we don't know about them.

So if anyone does something for cycling & uses CAMWEST as a lever to gain further attention, TELL US ABOUT IT.