[CAMWEST-discuss] Oil Supply, Bikes and the future

Mark Robson Mark.Robson at australwright.com.au
Wed May 4 00:10:26 UTC 2011

Hi All,

One 'Gong ride is enough to convince you that cycle paths are not the answer.
The RTA cordon off one lane of the Princes Hwy through Tempe/Arncliffe and this lane 'transports'
about 10,000 cyclists across a 3 hour window, roughly 3,000 per hour. The congestion is horrendous
and serious roadies and teams regularly cross into the adjacent traffic lane. This is why this ride now
has a hard ceiling on numbers  and declines entries from non-fund raisers.

And this is from a 2.5 metres wide piece of road. A 1.2 m wide path (2.5 m  wide two-way ) will max out
at around 1500 cyclists per hour, that's one passing EVERY 2.4 seconds and NO stoppages at lights or road crossings!! Just ask John about the recent Gillett Foundation ride around Greystanes, Wenty and Fairfield, it showed how pathetic the paths are when hit by large numbers of riders.

With the proposed building of the Narremburn to City harbourlink project they are expecting the current 700 cyclists/hour
to quadruple. This will max out the capacity on the harbour bridge pathway even if no oncoming cycle traffic is assumed and the entire width is used for one direction.

The point is that when fuel prices do go through the roof and the million people with bikes in their garages get them out and ride to work
they simply will NEVER fit onto ANY sort of cycle paths; and will simply join the road.

CAMWEST and other bicycle advocacy groups must have a serious programme to maintain cycling road rights at all costs.
It is there that the battle with motorists will be waged, not on cycle paths.

The masses will turn first to trains and buses, which will be so overloaded that travel on them will be problematic; if it isn't already in NSW,
and anyone that wants to arrive at a predictable time ( i.e. on time ) will travel by other means.

First will come the motor scooter revolution, millions on Honda Vespas, followed by the bicycle revolution
when even a small motor scooter is out of the reach of the masses.

Mark