[CAMWEST-discuss] Fwd: Parra Heritage - Lennox Bridge interventions

Danny Hannan danny_hannan at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 01:58:28 UTC 2011

While this type of cycleway (off road) is important at the moment to support cycling, it is an exercise in filling past needs, a far more future oriented

program is "cycling priority on the road".  Retrofitted off-road cycleways while great for family and recreational cycling, they are a poor substitute for the commuting cyclist.  As liquid fuel scarcity increases along with prices, this decade, commuting cycling growth will be driven by simple economics as the cost of living rises due to energy prices rising, due to declining supplies of fossil fuels.  While a carbon tax/trading scheme will add a small increase; that amount will only be a small portion of the rise.  A simple example is that NSW power stations are supplied with subsidised coal at around $30/tonne while the same coal is loaded onto ships in Newcastle Harbour at well over $100/tonne or four time the price.

The global debt crisis has simply been delayed, but by being delayed it grows bigger all the time so that the longer we wait for the final reckoning the worse will be the consequences.  So don't think that wages will keep up with the cost of living, that simply will not happen when unemployment is rising.

While Australia's future is tied to China, India and Asia as our major resources buyers,  those countries have serious debt and inflation issues as well, that will impact soon this decade as well.  Many investment advisers that warned of the 2008 recession are now warning of the economic instability of
China.

Peak oil production was latest 2006, peak coal production is now, by mid decade both will be in declining supplies, while there are question marks as to the future of natural gas, it is very expensive in energy terms to export as compared to coal and oil.

Cyclists need to start fighting for priority on the road, because come the end of the decade cyclist will be challenging as a major component of the traffic.

Dan

danny_hannan at yahoo.com