[CAMWEST-discuss] Fwd: Cadel's success should inspire a win on Mitchell's Pass for cyclists & pedestrians in the Blue Mountains!‏

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Mon Aug 29 22:10:15 UTC 2011

Fellow CAMWESTies,
                               some of you may have already received this email, but I feel it is worth forwarding on to your own networks. It is also worthy of some further action on your behalf.

Sent: Tue, Aug 30, 2011 12:05 am
Subject: Cadel's success should inspire a win on Mitchell's Pass for cyclists & pedestrians in the Blue Mountains!‏

Cadel's outstanding effort shows what can be achieved by cyclists from the West of Sydney - his homeland!

While conditions on the road are improving in Sydney and in the Blue Mountains, we may be about to lose the one safe, car free entry and exit on the escarpment.

This most vital link, Mitchell's Pass, is the lowest of the three passes. Old Bathurst Road and Lapstone Hill are not viable alternatives for most cyclists.

Mitchell's Pass has been closed to cars since a rockfall and has become a very popular route for cyclists and walkers/runners going both downhill and uphill.

Work is underway to re-open Mitchell's Pass to cars and trucks.  It may become a raceway again and cyclists and pedestrians will lose the only viable entry to the Blue Mountains.

Let's take inspiration from Cadel, get active and let our politicians and public servants know how we feel!

Attached is a letter produced by Rob Standen, a well known Penrith Sports Physio and keen cyclist.  Please feel free to use it as is or to inspire your own letter.
Here are some addresses of pollies & others who you might like to send this to (any other ideas?):

Roza Sage MP, State Member for Blue Mountains,  bluemountains at parliament.nsw.gov.au,  132 Macquarie Road SPRINGWOOD NSW 2777

Louise Markus MP, Federal Member for Macquarie , email? go to  www.louisemarkus.com.au, PO Box 855 Windsor NSW 2756,  PO Box 4060 Winmalee 2777

Stuart Ayres MP, State Member for Penrith,  penrith at parliament.nsw.gov.au,  Penrith Electorate Office,  Shop 11, Station Street, Penrith , PO Box 4006 Penrith Plaza 2750, 4722 8660 Fax 4731 4782

Fiona Creed, Ward 4 Councillor, BMCC  fcreed at bmcc.nsw.gov.au , Cr Fiona CREED Locked Bag 1005. KATOOMBA NSW 2780. Phone: (02) 4739 6261. Fax: ( 02) 4739 6261. Mobile: (0423) 565 988.

Howard McCallum,  Ward 4 Councillor, BMCC  PO Box 3064 East Blaxland NSW 2774 Phone: (02) 4739 0419 Fax: (02) 4739 0419 Mobile: (0414) 195 989 Email: hmccallum at bmcc.nsw.gov.au (Howard has called for community input re cycling etc. -see BM Gazette, Page 5, 17 August 2011.)

Mark Greenhill,  Deputy Mayor,  BMCC Locked Bag 1005 Katoomba NSW 2780 Phone: (02) 4753 6452 Fax: (02) 4753 6452 Mobile: (0414) 195 990 Email: mgreenhill at bmcc.nsw.gov.au

You may also like to send a copy to the Penrith Press. Brad Earl, the Editor, has expressed interest in doing a story on the issue of access on Mitchell's Pass! editor at penrithpress.com.au  4731 2700,  407-409 High Street, Penrith NSW 2750

and the Blue Mountains Gazette, editorial.bmgazette at ruralpress.com Editor Damien Madigan, 4751 1955 Fax: f: 4751 5556

Please Cc or Bcc a copy to me so we can keep a track on support for this vital link in the cycling network.  Please pass this on to your contacts!

Regards,

Terry McCann
Cycling Advocate

3 Gale Ave