[CAMWEST-announce] UPCOMING EVENTS & VOLUNTEERS

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Wed Sep 5 16:28:40 EST 2012

Fellow CAMWESTies,
                                  Hi, I have returned from a very enjoyable period out of the city riding in Central Australia's deserts. I set off for a 5 day each way drive to Innamincka where I joined 24 other people who were equally as mad as I am & we cycled for 985 km from Innamincka to Birdsville and return. There is a short story in Push On Magazine here and some FB Photos Here.

VOLUNTEERS: Rob Kemp & I have volunteered as Team Leaders for the Bicycle NSW Spring Cycle on 21 October 2012. I will be supervising a section from Rhodes to Silverwater Bridge & Rob will be adjacent to me from Silverwater Bridge in past the Armoury Cafe. BNSW is looking for volunteer marshals for the event with positions available from North Sydney to Homebush Bay. If you are unable to ride, or know someone who may like to volunteer to support this great event and cycling have them visit this page for more information & registration details.

RIDE 2 WORK day is on again this year on Wednesday 17 October 2012.Parramatta will be hosting a free breakfast in the CBD(Venue to be finalised). Go to the Ride to Work Website for more information and to register. If you know someone who is considering riding to work and is unsure about their skills & would like some coaching, please contact me & we will see what we can organise.

BICYCLE HISTORY TALK: We have an opportunity to secure the talents of Jim Fitzpatrick, Bicycle Historian & author of "The Bicycle & The Bush" and "Major Taylor in Australia" to talk in Parramatta around the 25 October 2012. His book "The Bicycle & The Bush" is a great read  & his knowledge of Bicycle history is vast. Jim will also be talking about the great "Dunlop Military Despatch Ride" which was held in 1912, an event that Omar Khalifa hopes to replicate next year. Some more information about Jim & his tales here. Let us know if you are interested in attending an evening talk by Jim in Parramatta. Secure Bicycle Parking will be available in one of the Councils Bike parking cages in either Erby or Horwood Place carparks.

Finally, 2012 marks the 25th anniversary of CAMWEST. We also need to hold an Annual General Meeting to comply with the conditions of our Incorporated status. I know we are all time poor, but can I have some suggested dates for October please? A short ride & a BBQ lunch would be my ideal venue for the AGM.