[CAMWEST-announce] Ref: Lennox Bridge Portals, DA/425/2012.

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Mon Dec 3 09:39:28 EST 2012

Fellow CAMWESTies,

Parramatta Council will meet on Monday 10 December to discuss & hopefully decide on the proposal to construct portals in the Lennox Bridge over the Parramatta River at Church Street.

There have been many public meetings and discussions over this proposal & if you are not already aware of the proposal, I urge you to read up un the proposed development application which can be accessed from the highlighted link.

I have written a general letter to the Councillors highlighting my feelings as a member, but not a spokesperson for CAMWEST. A copy of my letter appears below, as does a list of email contacts for the various Councillors of Parramatta Council.

Paul Bowyer has been an active advocate for the Portals & has gained permission to address the Council meeting which is to consider this proposal. He has also urged people to write to council with their feelings regarding this proposal. If you are a resident of Parramatta City Council, write to the Councillors representing your Ward (see email list below)

Therefore, I also urge you to contact council with your feelings towards this project, regardless of your point of view. Please feel free to support or oppose the project, but also take the time to read the full DA proposal before making your decision.

I would also like to see people turn up at the meeting to support their beliefs for this proposal Parramatta Council meetings Calendar.
Council meetings are held on the second and fourth Monday of each month (except January) at 6:45pm, at the Council Chamber Building located in Civic Place (2 Civic Place, Parramatta).

MY LETTER TO COUNCIL
Dear Councillors......................

Ref: Lennox Bridge Portals, DA/425/2012.

I am writing to express my support for the abovementioned Development
Application.

This is a complex proposal and I am sure you have all acquainted yourselves intimately with this proposal before lodging your vote.

The proposal to add portals to the historic Lennox Bridge is a divisive one and a proposal I have considered closely.
I appreciate the Heritage value of the bridge and my initial reaction was : the bridge should not be tampered with in any way.

I had been under the assumption this bridge was like Lennox's other two remaining structures in NSW and was an original unaltered structure. My research showed that was not the case and this structure has been altered several times, significantly altering its heritage value .However, that should not be a bar to retaining it in its current state.

However, I believe the benefits to be gained by adding portals, while carrying out preservation work would mean the bridge will have an extended life and an opportunity to be appreciated by far more people in the future.

Currently the Parramatta Valley Shared Pathway is nearing a stage where there will be a completely off road path from Olympic Park to Parramatta CBD, creating a wonderful linear recreational and commuting facility. By removing the barrier currently posed by the Lennox Bridge, that path can extend beyond into Parramatta Park and then into the Westmead Hospital Precinct where recreational and commuting links are available to Windsor via Windsor Road and Blacktown & beyond to Prestons and also the Western Sydney Parklands via the existing M7 Shared Path.

This simple proposal has the potential to open another tourist option for Parramatta via cycling between the adjoining pathways, particularly Sydney Olympic Park. It will provide access to pedestrians and less mobile people from Parramatta CBD to Parramatta Park via an off road and wheelchair/mobility scooter friendly route. It will allow children to access these areas without having to negotiate busy roads and it will add to an increase in commuter cycling.

The opening of Portals in the bridge will also add a link between heritage buildings within Parramatta CBD and those contained in the Parramatta Park, Cumberland Hospital and Parramatta Gaol precincts, all extremely important parts of Parramatta's rich heritage

I believe it is important you take a practical and balanced look at the benefits this simple project will bring to Parramatta when making your decision.

Yours sincerely,

		<Your name>
		<Your address>
		<Your email address>

Yours sincerely,

		<Your name>
		<Your address>
		<Your email address>

Here are some reasons that I support the portals. Feel free to use them as
you see fit, but ideally use your own words.
   opens up the river to all users - cyclists, pedestrians, people with
   prams, people with wheelchairs.
   removes the barrier and the river level
   provides a new appreciation of the Lennox bridge, with people being able
   to pass through it
   opens up a heritage corridor between Old Government House and the Female
   Orphan School
   opens up a link between Parramatta Park and Sydney Olympic Park
   will be a vital step in helping to make the river the centre of
   Parramatta.

Email addresses:
Please email your letter to council at parracity.nsw.gov.au, and also to your
local councillors if you're a Parramatta resident  (Councillors emails
listed below).
Please also copying bdelapierre at parracity.nsw.gov.au,

Councillors:
Ward: Arthur Phillip: