[CAMWEST-announce] The Great East Rail Trail Ride

Rob Kemp robkemp at tpg.com.au
Mon Aug 11 08:43:47 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd pass this on in case anyone is interested (I might
even go...) - It's a 3 day supported ride in Victoria between
Bairnsdale & Orbost along the East Gippsland Rail Trail.

See http://www.greateastrailtrailride.com.au/

The East Gippsland Rail Trail is not as well known (or promoted as
heavily) as the Murray to the Mountains trail.
However it's a great "little" 100km trail passing through farmland and
forest.   Between Bairnsdale & Orbost, there are really only two
significant towns - Bruthen and Nowa Nowa.  This event has an
overnight stay at each of these.
Having family in and around Bairnsdale, I usually get to ride the
Bairnsdale end of the trail at least once a year.  I've ridden to
Nowa Nowa a couple of times and to Orbost once.
Liz Mitchell from Snowy River Cycling is organising the event.  I've
been on other events in the area that Liz has organised, and they've
been pretty good.
Orbost is about 6.5 hours from Sydney by car.  There are options (for
the brave) of getting there by coach around the Princes Hwy, and also
getting to the start in Bairnsdale by train from Melbourne.
I love a couple of the lines on the website:
 "…it’s not all about the k’s (kilometres), it’s about the
c’s (companionship, camaraderie, cuisine, countryside and
captivating scenery). The cycling is a bonus!"
"Bike Transport Sunday: Bikes will be travelling in our open topped,
sightseeing special cattle truck, where they will experience country
life as a cow."

 If anyone is thinking of going and would like to spend a bit more
time in the area, I can recommend some rides around the Bairnsdale
area.

Cheers,

Rob

 Rob Kemp 'Trying to live more sustainably'.
 Web: http://www.robkemp.id.au
 ph: (m) 0415 902 708 (w) 02 9296 1561