[CAMWEST-discuss] BIkes at Super Cheap Auto

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Sun Aug 10 11:50:54 UTC 2008

Mark,
????????my main advice to you is DON'T DO IT!!

Generally you get what you pay for & $129.00 for a bike is just asking for a lot of grief. With your size & power output, the bike would last you about 10 rides if you were lucky. They are designed for light weight riders & limited riding.

On the recent ride from Broken Hill to Alice, one of the riders did ride a $130-00 Big W Special. It was a Repco bike & the last time I saw it, he had completed about 1200Ks of the ride. The front shocks had ceased to work & their was limited travel in the rear. The frame & wheels had held up fairly well & he was still continuing on to Darwin on it. There were some funny noises coming from all over the bike as well. There was a second one on the ride that a mate used as a back up when his very expensive bike died on day two ( mechanical failure due to an apprentice working on it at the bike shop & not adjusting the deralleur limit screws properly).

The front shocks died on day one & the bottom bracket was making some funny noises after two days

The best thing you can do is nurse your old bike along for as long as you can & while doing this, put some of the savings from petrol towards a fund to buy a new bike. I'm sure that you could also locate something quite good on the second hand market through some of the CAMWEST Members.

Speak to you more about it at the meeting.