[CAMWEST-discuss] Bike valet Parking

. jonhol2 at netscape.net
Sun Jan 4 22:45:03 UTC 2015

Dear Fellow CAMWESTies,
                                           well, 2014 is now becoming a distant memory as we are almost one week into 2015, but 2014 was a relatively productive year for cycling. Here are some of our achievements:

We saw two very important pieces of non road infrastructure opened up in Parramatta. The Baludarri Path from UWS Rydalmere to MacArthur St was completed and has resulted in an upsurge of cycling into Parramatta. This is a beautiful shared path which has opened up some beautiful riverside scenery along the ride into Parramatta from the east.

Just before Christmas we also saw the completion and opening without fanfare, of the Northern Portal in the Lennox Bridge, which has completed an off road path from Parramatta CBD to Parramatta Park. Expect the area to be busy with all types of users and blocked by special events at times, but it is a delightful ride.

Work continues in the planning stages of a project to build a boardwalk along the river at the Ferry Wharf which will complete the off road link from UWS to the CBD, an exciting project which will be a boon to all non motorised traffic.

We must remember also, with the completion of these paths comes an increase in all forms of users, and we need to be aware of and respectful towards the other users. We have identified a possible need for education programmes along the path for all users. In the meantime, it is a shared path in a busy recreational area of a large CBD, please ride accordingly.

CAMWEST started the year with Bike Valet Parking (BVP) at Parramatta Park for Australia Day. We will do the same thing this year & we will be seeking volunteers. This is a major fundraising activity& it will allows us to carry out other advocacy work. We also provided BVP at two events in Canterbury City Council and shared the proceeds of one of those events with the Canterbury Men's Bike Shed who provided volunteer support for the event. This hopefully will encourage them to take up this activity. Also during 2014 we provided BVP equipment hire for three events run by Bike Sydney.

Parramatta Council also contracted us to provide a BVP service at the Heritage Festival where we also trialled a bike hub activity and hosted 3 Heritage Rides with Paul Bowyer. The PCC is open to us providing these services at a number of other events throughout the year. It is a strain on Volunteer labour & we may have to look at some aspects of paid labour to run these services.

Recently we also met with Blacktown Council and have been asked to provide a quote to provide BVP at the Medieval Fayre at Nurragingy Reserve around may. This event attracts over 60,000 visitors over two days. They are also interested in some community rides in the area & also the revitalisation of a bicycle recycling service. Blacktown LGA covers the ever expanding Rouse Hill / Riverstone/ Schofields area and there are large amounts of cycle paths being constructed in those areas.

Rob and Michael are continuing their work with Riverstone Lions Club to manage the Ride to Riverstone Charity Ride and Rob has been busy scoping out some new routes for this ride through some of Sydney's spectacular rural fringes out around Scheyville & the beautiful Hawkesbury River.

In summary, it has been a productive year for cycling with some great new paths opening up, advocacy work taking on new boundaries and employment opportunities presenting themselves within the area.

Watch this space for  a chance to do some volunteer work with us for Australia Day.